Saturday, February 16, 2013

Some Suggestions About How to Study About Photosynthesis



Photosynthesis is a complicated and complex process.  I find that many students focus so much on learning about the details that they lose focus on the big picture.

I suggest that you first review the powerpoint presentation I showed in class and then review the relevant material in the book. Next, I would look at the Expected Learning Outcomes in the blog posts on the Light Dependent and Light Independent reactions.  Make sure that you check out the animations. They all use a slightly different approach to cover the same process. You might also try some of the end of the chapter review materials.

 I suggest that you write out answers to all of the expected learning outcomes. Most of these are relatively short. After you have done this you should be able to answer the following three questions.

1) Describe the process of photosynthesis in only one sentence.

2) Describe the process of photosynthesis in only one paragraph.

3) Explain the process of photosynthesis in full detail.

In order to perform well on the test you should be able to explain the material to a fellow classmate.
I think that you can learn a lot by critiquing the answers of your fellow classmates and suggesting how to improve their answers (I find that it is always easier to critique someone else's work than it is to critique my own). Hopefully, the feedback you receive will help you to determine whether you have mastered the material at a deep level or not.

If you would like me to review your written answers to the Expected Learning Outcomes email them to me and I will take a look and get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment