Thursday, February 14, 2013

Cool Underwater Videos

Photo of Juvenile Anenome Fish by Liz Harlin

Hello,

If you need a study break then take the time to watch these two underwater videos.

1. Flores and Alor Islands in Indonesia.  This video is taken by an Australian friend, Josh Jensen.  Josh is an award winning underwater videographer, so enjoy the scenes.  They led a dive trip Indonesia last fall, but because I was teaching, I couldn't go along.

http://www.underseaproductions.com/blog/alor-flores-indonesia-underwater-footage-video

There is a lot of other great footage and photos (taken by Josh's wife Liz Harlin) on the Undersea Productions website.

2. Jellyfish Lake, Palau Micronesia.  This video was shot by Brian Goddard.  I have never met Brian, but through mutual friends I learned about his underwater videos.  He just posted this video on Facebook, so I thought I would share.



Jellyfish Lake is one of the most unusual places that I have ever been.  The lake is located in one of the small Rock Islands of Palau.  The lake is connected to the sea in such a way that water can flow in and out, but organisms can't.  Thus, the jellyfish in the lake have been isolated in this lake for a long period of time.  Because there are no predators in the lake, the jellyfish have lost their ability to sting.  Swimming through the dense clouds of jellyfish and feeling them slide along your body is a pretty creepy feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibs6l4fxr5I&feature=share

You can learn more about Jellyfish Lake here

http://www.wondermondo.com/Countries/Au/Palau/RockIslands/JellyfishLake.htm

1 comment:

  1. Jellyfish Lake is definitely on my list of places to go before I die.

    ReplyDelete